Quotes from Maharshi:
- See who is the doubter, who is the thinker. It is the ego. Hold it; the other thoughts will die away – the ego will be left pure. See the source from where the ego arises and abide in it. That is pure consciousness.
- There is no mind to control if you realize the self. The mind having vanished, the self shines forth. In the realized man, the mind may be active or inactive, the self remains for him.
- Real attainment is to be fully conscious, to be aware of surroundings and the people around, to move among them all, but not to merge consciousness in the environment. One should remain in inner independent awareness.
- The fact is that the Self is never bound. There can, therefore, be no Release for It. All the troubles are for the ego only
- You are already perfect.
- One can know oneself only with one’s own eye of knowledge, and not with somebody else’s. Does he who is Rama require the help of a mirror to know that he is Rama?
- How is the mind transcended? The mind is by nature restless. Begin liberating it from its restlessness; give it peace; make it free from distractions; train it to look inward; make this a habit. This is done by ignoring the external world and removing the obstacles to peace of mind.
- It is the nature of the mind to wander. You are not the mind.
- The Self remains ever the same, here and now.
- Since one is ever the Supreme Reality and nothing else, it is superfluous to affirm it in thought or by speech. Such affirmation can be an aid only to rid oneself of the notion ‘I’ am the physical body
Ramana Maharshi books