Avatar Meher Baba (1894-1969)
When I first became aware of the existence of a fully enlightened Avatar – Meher Baba – I was hungry to read his books and go see any video I could find about him. What most fascinated me is that he lived in silence for the vast majority of his lifetime – 22 years – from 1925 until his death. Yet his words became powerful teachings that were understood and translated by a small group of disciples who followed him wherever he travelled He wrote what he wanted to communicate on a chalkboard and eventually developed a language that those around him could understand just by watching his gestures.
The other fascinating quality of Meher Baba was his humility and the fact that he had so much physical pain over the course of his lifetime but never complained about any of it. His videos show him in a wheelchair in front of a crowd of thousands of mostly “Untouchables.” He would wash and then kiss their feet, a supreme act of humility and full surrender to God.
In general, he was very affectionate, especially with the children who came before him. I loved seeing video clips of Meher Baba standing among a group of children, smiling and saying so much with his hands, a gesture or his caress of a child’s face.
He was also known for his compelling attraction to the people who he called the “God Intoxicated” ones. These were the people who had “lost their mind” and became completely immersed in their connection to the Divine. Some walked around naked, forgetting to eat or care for their own body at all. Meher Baba sought them out all over India to make contact with them in a way that only he could. He had a very special ability to understand them in their silent devotion.
Regardless of his actions, everything Meher Baba did touched my heart.
Quotes from Meher Baba
- The purpose of life is to realize God within ourselves. This can be done even whilst attending to our worldly duties. In the everyday walks of life and amidst activities, feel detached and dedicate your doings to our beloved God.
- The real untouchables are those who will not enter the heart’s temple and see the Lord within.
- To love Me for what I may give you is not loving Me at all. To sacrifice anything in My cause to gain something for yourself is like a blind man sacrificing his eyes for sight. I am the Divine Beloved worthy of being loved because I am Love. He who loves Me because of this will be blessed with unlimited sight and will see Me as I am.
- I have come to sow the seed of Love in your hearts
- There is nothing that love cannot achieve, and there is nothing that love cannot sacrifice. If we suffer in the sufferings of others and feel happy in the happiness of others, we are loving God.
- Being is Dying by Loving.
- To love God in the most practical way is to love our fellow beings. If we feel for others in the same way as we feel for our own dear ones, we love God.
- I have come not to Teach, but to Awaken.
Source: Dafreesan blog from Hub Pages: Spiritual Quotes by 6 Enlightened Masters of 20th Century
No comments yet.