In 1991, I moved to Marin County, California, ‘sannyas’ *capitol of the West Coast At the time, I knew absolutely nothing about Rajneesh except that he was the guru with all the Rolls Royces. I didn’t pay much attention to stories about Rajneesh until I ended up with a broken back (a whole other story entirely) and in immediate need of an acupuncturist. It was then that I was introduced to the first sannyasin I had ever met, Paul Grace, who became a close friend for many years to come. Practically as soon as we met, he insisted that I come meet his wife because we had so much in common. He was right. Paul’s wife, Inga, also became a dear friend with whom I shared many wonderful adventures over the course of our relationship.
After meeting those two, I started to come in contact with many followers of Rajneesh, especially when I did my first Miracle of Love Intensive® in 1993. The Intensives seemed to attract sannyasins in the early days, perhaps because they were ready for Kalindi La Gourasana, who did everything she could to help her disciples and followers find union with God, “ultimate freedom” she called it.
Ten years later, I married a man named Christoph who had been a sannyasin for many years, right up until Rajneesh died. I was very taken with how Christoph interacted with others, his warmth, his sense of freedom and the ease with which he seemed to approach life, love and friendship. Looking back, I think that was in large part Christoph’s nature, recognizable to me as the nature of a true devotee of God.
While we are no longer a couple, Christoph and I remain very deeply connected in a loving friendship that will last our lifetime. I’m sure he would say the same.
Osho quotes from dafreesan’s article:
- The rebel has no path to follow. Those who follow any path are not rebels. The very spirit of rebellion needs no guidance. It is a light unto itself. The people who cannot rebel ask for guidance, want to be followers.
- Witness that you are not the body. Witness that you are not the mind. Witness that you are only the witness.
- My whole teaching is: Just be what you are and don’t care a bit about the world. Then you will feel a tremendous relaxation and a deep peace within your heart. That is your original face, relaxed, without tensions, without pretensions, without hypocrisies, without the so-called disciplines of how you should behave.
- I am not serious, I am just celebrating. And when I talk to you, I am not giving you an ideology, a philosophy, a religion — no. I simply want to share my celebration
- Don’t cling to anything. Clinging is the cause of our being unconscious.
- Whenever you punish somebody you are punishing yourself. Whenever you torture somebody you are torturing yourself — because there is nobody else.
- Old age is your own creation: it can be a misery, it can be a celebration; it can be simply a despair, and it can also be a dance. It all depends how deeply ready you are to accept existence, whatsoever it brings.
- I am teaching you to live simply. To live with an idea is a very complicated living, it is cunning. To live simply, just like trees and birds….
No comments yet.