George Ivanovitch Gurdjieff (1872–1949)
Seminal spiritual figure, introduced to the West an ancient yet unknown esoteric teaching of development and awakening, one that teaches how to creatively use the diverse impressions of ordinary life to come to real life.
Humanity, Gurdjieff realized, had entered a precarious new period in its evolution. The world would be destroyed, Gurdjieff warned, unless the ‘wisdom’ of the East and the ‘energy’ of the West were harnessed and used harmoniously. To effect this Harnelmiatznel, Gurdjieff gave the necessary shock—he introduced to the West a unique and powerful esoteric teaching of self-transformation. Gurdjieff called it The Fourth Way.
An original teaching, Fourth Way is neither a mixture of spiritual lines nor a modern eclectic concoction. It is, as Gurdjieff declared, “completely self-supporting and independent of other lines and it has been completely unknown up to the present time.”
The Teaching of The Fourth Way is the last esoteric message of the present cycle.
(The Gurdjieff Legacy Foundation: The Teaching For Our Time).
Some Gurdjieff Quotes (my favorite is in pink below):
- A man can only attain knowledge with the help of those who possess it. This must be understood from the very beginning. One must learn from him who knows.
- A man will renounce any pleasures you like but he will not give up his suffering.
- If you want to lose your faith, make friends with a priest.
- It is the greatest mistake to think that man is always one and the same. A man is never the same for long. He is continually changing. He seldom remains the same even for half an hour.
- Without self knowledge, without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave.
- From my point of view, he can be called a remarkable man who stands out from those around him by the resourcefulness of his mind, and who knows how to be restrained in the manifestations which proceed from his nature, at the same time conducting himself justly and tolerantly towards the weaknesses of others.
- Faith of consciousness is freedom, Faith of feeling is weakness, Faith of body is stupidity.
- I ask you to believe nothing that you cannot verify for yourself.
- Remember your self always and everywhere.
- By teaching others you will learn yourself
Gurdjieff, A Beginner’s Guide: How Changing The Way We React To Misplacing Our Keys Can Transform Our Lives
No comments yet.